Friday, September 5

Baby Shower

Over Labor Day weekend, my friends Erica & Christin along with my mom and mother-in-law threw me a wonderful baby shower! My mom dutifully took many photos, which I'm posting in a separate album because it will just take up too much space on this blog:

http://picasaweb.google.com/DemetraAnne/BabyShower#

(hopefully the link works)

Anyway - I have to admit I'm a little nervous about the idea of baby showers, sort of like counting your chickens before your eggs hatch. However, I also feel that there is a much greater chance of me having a healthy little baby than there is of something going wrong - so, I better be prepared for little Cleetus's arrival in the world. We got lots of wonderful gifts - tons of happy little yellow, orange, and green baby outfits, everything we need for the keeping the baby squeaky clean, car seats and strollers, and much more. Thank you so much to everyone! Now I need to work on getting those thank you notes out & everything washed and cleaned and ready.

Speaking of getting ready for the baby, Matt & I have been taking a "preparing for childbirth" class at Magee. It runs for 4 weeks - Thursday nights. It seems like it will be helpful, the lady who teaches it is a little eccentric (I think you have to be to teach a class like that!), but very nice. We're learning lots of relaxation and breathing techniques and general information about what is happening to a woman's body during labor & delivery. Last night was our second class, and we covered forms of "medical intervention." I would like to think that as a scientist I would be level-headed about these types of things, but sadly, I am not. During a video we watched receiving IV's, sterile water injections, epidurals - and more - I almost passed out. Seriously, hot flashes, pale-faced, room spinning - almost passed out. So - I had to get up and leave the class for awhile. After regaining my composure, I returned to class like 10 minutes later, only to walk in on a Q&A about epidurals - and almost passed out again. It was super embarrassing - I felt so bad for Matt, having to leave him there in that class by himself! Although I've already said I want to go for an all-natural childbirth, last night just reinforced it!! Many people might think I'm crazy for wanting to put with the pain, but there is something about a needle in my spine that I can't handle. I know myself - and I know I have a much higher tolerance for pain than for needles! :) Anyway - next week we cover c-sections...I'm sure I'll have to plan on leaving class again!

Everything else seems to be going well here. Cleetus is continuing to be an active one - and the kicks and prods and whatever else are getting VERY STRONG. I feel like there is a boxing match going on between to elves in my stomach. It can make sleeping, walking, and eating quite interesting activities - but, its also pretty fun! I am about 34 weeks along and have gained around 25 - 30 pounds. Many of my maternity pants & shirts just aren't stretching enough to cover this big old belly anymore, which I find amazing because I remember buying them thinking - "Will I really need something this BIG?" I'm finding dresses to be the most comfortable option, and need to shop for a few more of them to get me through the last 6 weeks.

Eeek - can you believe it - only 6 more weeks? And only about 3 more weeks until I'm considered "full-term" & could possibly deliver early!

1 comment:

The Szymanski Family said...

Don't worry, Dee! We never took those classes for that very reason. Figure it this way - class or no class, that baby is coming out. :)

We'll still love you if you accept the drugs they offer. If you pass on them, can you mail them to my house???? :)